On July 4th 1776, the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress and has since been celebrated with fireworks, parades and barbecues across the country, but what do you really know about the Fourth of July?
- Betsy Ross, Philadelphia, PA sewed the first American Flag in June 1776 for George Washington.
- Independence Day was first celebrated in Philadelphia on July 8, 1776. where the Liberty Bell was rung after the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence.
- In 1778, General George Washington marked July 4 with a double ration of rum for his soldiers and an artillery salute.
- 50 years to the day after the approval of the Declaration of Independence, which they both had a hand in drafting, former presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Adams die on the same say.
- In 1938, Congress changed Independence Day to a paid federal holiday.
- Eleven nationwide places have “independence” in their name, Including Independence, Missouri, and Independence, Minnesota.
- There’s a one-in-four chance your hotdog has come from Iowa as well as a one-in-six chance your beef on the backyard grill came from Texas.
- Last year, the U.S. imported $193 million worth of fireworks from China and $3.4 million worth of American flags.
- On July 4, 1916, four immigrants are said to have argued amongst themselves as to who was the most patriotic. They decided to settle it by having a hot dog eating competition. This, would later spark the famous “Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest” which is held annually on 4th July at the corner of Surf and Stillwell Avenues in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York. In 2006, over 30,000 spectators attended the event, and an additional 1.5 million households watched it live on ESPN.
How will you be celebrating today? Do you have any special traditions?
Well, whatever you’re doing, have a great Independence Day!
- Lonesome George To Become A Father..Hopefully
- Total Solar Eclipse 22 July 2009
- Mexican Billionaire Is New World’s Richest Man
- The Words “I Love You” Are Worth £163,424
- Let’s Get Ready To…Pea Shoot?!
GEAT ARTICLES ON OTHER BLOGS...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.